Sunday, November 17, 2013

Salinger - The Movie, The Book


I may be one of the few college students who never read the famous Catcher in the 
Rye by J. D. Salinger. I'd heard the name over the years but never thought about him. 

Then one night I'm watching Charlie Rose, and he's interviewing Shane Salerno who had just written a new book and produced a documentary film about Salinger. I also learned that many people thought Salinger was one of the best writers of the last century. He was also a bit of a recluse.

I read the book and was fascinated by Salinger's unusual life. I was surprised when I found that the recent documentary film was available on Netflix.

It might surprise you to know that Mark David Chapman (John Lennon's assassin) and John Hinckley (Ronald Reagan's would-be assassin), were both carrying copies of Catcher in the Rye.

Here are  some of the people who appear in the film: Philip Seymour Hoffman; Edward Norton;
John Cusack; Martin Sheen; Tom Wolfe; and Gore Vidal!

3 comments:

  1. So, have you read "Catcher in the Rye?" I did in high school along with "Franny and Zoey." He was a very very private person, a recluse, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read the "Catcher" but I thoroughly enjoyed the book and documentary about Salinger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember it as almost a 'cult classic.'

    ReplyDelete