Monday, November 11, 2013

Podcasts



pod·cast
ˈpädˌkast/
noun
  1. 1.
    a multimedia digital file made available on the Internet for downloading to a portable media player, computer, etc.
verb
  1. 1.
    make (a multimedia digital file) available as a podcast.

    I always think of podcasts as pre-recorded radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. Podcasts can also be videos. I know a lot of people who listen to music on their portable devices. I take a daily walk and like to listen to podcasts as opposed to music.

    Thousands of topic are covered by podcasts. Do you like to listen to NPR? Most of their shows are available via podcast. Check out the NPR podcast directory here.

    Podcasts cover every imaginable subject including music, literature, food, gardening, politics, wine, sports, science, technology, etc. If you don't know where to start, check out Top Ten Podcasts here. On this same page you can also find a list of Top Ten Podcasts by subject.

    Podcasts used to be a part of iTunes in IOS. Recently podcasts where separated out and they now have their own app. called Podcasts. I've started using an app called Downcast to download, organize, and listen to Podcasts. It's available at the App Store for $2.99 and worth every penny. Downcast will allow you to search for a Podcast and subscribe. Downcast will automatically download new episodes as they become available.

    One of the  best parts of Podcasts, they're all free!!

2 comments:

  1. I, too, am a podcast lover. I can't describe how valuable they were for me when I was in Guatemala studying Spanish. I think much of my conversation ability was fostered by all the language podcasts.
    Another coincidence ... I don't often listen to music when I'm exercising, driving, knitting, etc, but voices - podcasts, novels, biographies, history - I like hearing people speaking - truth or fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sure recommend the Downcast app. If you listen to Podcasts on an iPhone or iPad.
    I understand there's a new app called Duolingo for people interested in learning or improving their fluency in a foreign language.
    I hope you find Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete