Saturday, November 23, 2013

Areal Flooding


I know is looks like a typo in the title of this blog. While checking the weather, I noticed there  was a warning of areal flooding. The word “areal” is the adjective version of the noun “area.” It basically means there's a risk of flooding in designated areas. The bus in the above photo was caught in a flash flood last summer in AZ.

I'm a big fan of following the weather. I guess it comes from my boating days. I have a weather station at the house. What's nice about this weather station is that it's totally wireless. I have the main control unit in the kitchen. This weather station measures indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity. It also measures wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, wind chill, and rainfall. It comes with two remote temperature sensors. I have one sensor on a covered patio and another in the living room. The anemometer (wind speed and direction indicator) unit also has a temperature sensor which allows it to calculate wind chill.

Some serious weather buffs have their stations connected to the Net. Take a look at this private weather station in Phoenix.

I can highly recommend WunderMap by Weather Underground app.

"WunderMap is the world's most interactive weather and radar map, providing current conditions and forecasts from Weather Underground's unique network of 30,000 neighborhood weather stations. Follow storms with the animated radar and satellite layers, track tropical weather in the hurricane layer and even view active wildfires."






2 comments:

  1. I just checked out that private weather station. Wow! It appears to be covering it all. I guess they've received a lot of interest, as they ask that we not stay on their web pages too long. I make a cursory pass over several pages and will look again; but I didn't want to overstay my welcome. That's a very sophisticated operation I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your "boating days" to an arid Phoenix. There's probably a story behind that.

    ReplyDelete