Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Old Time Radio, Not


I remember as a child sitting in front of our old Philco radio. This radio had a short-wave band which allowed you to listen to faraway places. I would sit by the hour and slowly turn the dial listening for foreign languages. It seemed like magic.

Today we can listen to radio stations around the world via the Internet. If you would like to listen to your home town radio while on the road, use radio-locator. You can search for national radio stations  or international stations. You can also search by continent and/or country.

The best solution for mobile devices (iOS and Android) is TuneIn Radio. This is a mobile app that allows you to listen to over 70,000 radio stations. Just go to the App Store and search for TuneIn Radio.

Add a Blue-tooth headset to this combination and you can walk around the house while listening to your favorite radio station without carrying your iPhone, iPad or other mobile device.


5 comments:

  1. I wish I could remember the brand of the radio we listened to when I was a child. It was 'portable,' meaning it sat on a table and had a rounded front with a record player under the radio apparatus.
    I loved sitting on the floor in front of it listening to Jack Benny, Bishop Sheen, the Breakfast Club and of course all the 'sit-coms' ( is that what they were called? like Amos and Andy, etc., etc.
    I also had great records .... Gene Autry's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Peter and the Wolf (music by Tsjaikovski), and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to wikipedia and found so so many programs I remember. I find so many interesting things, many of which I've almost forgotten when I read your blog. Now, I have to spend an hour or so remembering all those wonderful radio shows! Thanks for reminding me ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you look up "Old-time radio" on Wikipedia? How about Fibber McGee and Molly? Check this site for Old Time Radio archives.
      https://archive.org/details/FibberMcGeeandMolly1940

      Delete
    2. Will do. Also, I'd left out Don McNeil's name when I mentioned the Breakfast Club.

      Delete