An homage to Catalunya created using an Apple Pencil and Procreate on an iPadPro 10.5" model.
I've been doing my version of Zentangles since September of 2013. You can see earlier posts, "Do You Like to Doodle," September 13, 2013 and/or More Zentangles, October 1, 2013 for basic information about Zentangles or visit www.zentangle.com (click here).
Original Zentangles are created with black ink on 3.5" square paper cards. As I've mentioned in the past, I started out right away with 6" square cards.
In recent years, I've started to add color to my Zentangle creations. I've added color through the use of a combination of color pencils, gel pens, and colored markers. Digital podcasts show their best when displayed on a computer screen. The other options for prints is a color printer or sending the file to a photo service such as Costco Photo or Wal-Mart Photo.
I acquired an 10.5" iPad Pro recently. I also purchased an Apple Pencil (stylus). I explored several drawing apps that I thought might lend themselves to creating digital Zentangles. I finally settled on Pro Create.
Procreate lets you generate high-caliber artwork at a blistering pace using a robust layering system, stunning filters, and thousands of importable brushes. Plus, Savage Interactive's super-intuitive app supports pressure sensitivity and Apple Pencil—as well as iCloud Drive and a seamless video recording of each brushstroke—so sharing your work is incredibly simple.
At the end of this post, I've listed all of the features of this great application. And how much does this app cost you ask, well how about $5.99! The Apple Pencil will only work on iPadPros, both 9.7", 10.5" and 12.9" models. Procreate will also work on iPad 4th generation, iPadAir, and iPadAir2. You can actually use your finger to draw with Procreate on non-pro models. The other alternative stylus for non-pro iPads is the Wacom Bamboo Sketch. This new $80 stylus which has pressure sensitivity is similar to the Apple Pencil will work on older iPads and iPhone 6 and above. It will also work with a number of popular IOS drawing apps.
Apple Design Award winner and App Store Essential – Procreate is the most powerful sketching, painting and illustration app ever designed for a mobile device. This complete artist’s toolbox helps you create beautiful sketches, inspiring paintings, and stunning illustrations anywhere you are. Procreate features ground-breaking canvas resolution, 128 incredible brushes, advanced layer system and is powered by Silica: the fastest 64-bit painting engine on iOS.
Create a canvas and start painting with any of Procreate’s exclusive dual-texture brushes. Use the immediately responsive smudge tool to perfectly blend colour with any brush in your library. With Procreate’s incredibly high-resolution canvases you can print your artwork at massive sizes. Experience the revolutionary selection, transform, and perspective tools built exclusively for multitouch and finish your illustration with stunning cinema-quality effects. Procreate’s powerful and intuitive interface always puts your art in focus.
With a deep range of professional quality features, Procreate has all the power a creative needs.
• Feature Highlights- Optimized for iPad Pro and Apple Pencil- Massive Ultra High Definition canvases, up to 16k by 4k on iPad Pro 12.9"- Powered by Silica: the fastest 64-bit painting engine- Stunning 64-bit color - Deliciously responsive 64-bit smudge sampling - Multi-threaded; optimized for iPad’s multiple cores - 250 levels of undo and redo- Continuous auto-save—never lose work again - Connect a keyboard to use shortcuts for advanced features- Advanced Quick Menu for rapid interface interaction
• Breakthrough Brushes: - Packed with 128 beautifully made brushes- Game-changing dual textured brush system - 35 customizable settings for every brush - Create your own custom Procreate brushes - Organize your brushes into your own custom sets - Import custom brushes and export your own
• Advanced Layering System:- Layer your artwork for precise control over individual elements- Stay organized by combining layers into Groups- Select multiple layers to move or Transform objects simultaneously- Access 17 layer blend modes for professional compositing
• Color Without Compromise: - 64-bit color for greater accuracy- Fill your art seamlessly with ColorDrop- Exact ColorDrop fills with Reference Layers that won’t damage your line work- Input RGB or hex values for exact color matching
• Dramatic Finishing Effects:- GPU accelerated for optimum speed - Perspective Blur (exclusive to Procreate)- Gaussian and Motion Blurs- Sharpen and add Noise - Hue, Saturation, Brightness - Color Balance, Image Curves, Recolor
• Groundbreaking Video Features- Relive your creative journey with Procreate’s time-lapse replay- Broadcast your process live with your favorite streaming service- Record everything in real time and share it to any connected service
• Sharing and Workflow Integration: - Import or export Adobe® Photoshop® PSD files- Export to AirDrop, iCloud Drive, Photos, iTunes, Twitter, Dropbox, Google Drive, Facebook, Weibo and Mail- Export as layered native .procreate file, PSD, transparent PNG, multi-page PDF or web ready JPEG