Saturday, November 16, 2013

Crockpot Thai Green Curry Chicken


I was so happy with the No Hurry Curry I decided to try Thai curry. I picked up some green curry paste when I was at the Oriental market.  Green Curry Paste consists of green chilies, lemongrass, garlic, galangal (looks like ginger but tastes like pepper), shrimp paste, Kaffir lime peel, coriander seed, pepper, cumin, and turmeric. Garam Masala contains cumin, green cardamon, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, and mace. This dish was delicious.

2 - boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 - 14 oz. can coconut milk
1 - 14 oz. can chicken broth
1 - 14 oz can chickpeas
3 tbsp. green curry paste
3 tbsp. garlic/ginger paste
1 tsp. garam masala
1 - sweet potato, chopped
1 - medium onion, chopped
2 - cups of frozen stir fry vegetables (or your own combo)

Add coconut milk and chicken broth to crock, whisk in curry paste, garlic/ginger paste, and garam masala. Add chicken, add sweet potato and chickpeas. Add stir fry vegetables.

Cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Serve over rice or other grain.

Note: If you like a thicker sauce, you can use a little cornstarch near the end of cooking.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not crazy about curry and don't eat spicy things, but your recipe could easily be changed for my palate. I LOVE dishes like this served over rice. I'm going to try it - and maybe add a little wine to the recipe.

    I'm also going to try the coconut milk. I didn't realize it comes in cans. I've been hearing a lot about it and how good coconut *anything* is good for us. Much easier to store a few cans and open when needed, rather than refrigerate instead of having to keep a lot of cow's milk cold.

    And now I'm going to cut and paste your recipe in to my digital recipe file - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to reduce the Curry Paste to 2 tablespoons. I freeze the leftovers and then use it over the top of vegetables for a quick easy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't confuse Coconut Milk (used for Asian cooking) with Coconut Water which is currently so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of recipe blogs .... My son has inherited my love of cooking and has become quite an expert on Korean cooking, among others. He turned me on to "Korean Bapsang," a wonderful blog this lady started for sharing family recipes with her offspring. Take a look at it. I'd not known much about Korean cuisine until my son started serving it; it's a very interesting melange of East and West to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll check it out. I've always been a fan of Asian cuisine. It's really a matter of getting the appropriate spices. I just found an Indian cooking site focusing on the slow cooker,
    http://www.pinterest.com/reenp8/indian-slow-cooker/

    ReplyDelete