Thursday, October 31, 2013

Goodbye iGoogle, hello My Yahoo


I remember when Yahoo was called a Portal. This was the place to start surfin' the Net. I've been using iGoogle for quite a while to access the RSS feeds (blogs) I follow. I knew iGoogle was shutting down on November 1. I've been experimenting with alternatives. I'm using Feedly on my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) to follow blogs.
This morning I setup My Yahoo on my iMac. The good news was the ability to import all my iGoogle settings into My Yahoo. You first need to go to iGoogle, Options, Settings, and scroll down to the bottom of the page where you'll find Export. This will create a xtml file which can be imported into My Yahoo.

There are a number of alternatives. I chose Yahoo hoping they would be around for a while.

Now I need to work on customizing My Yahoo page.

What are you using for a Home page?

6 comments:

  1. OMG! I didn't know about this! I'll need to really start working on it; I think I'll choose Yahoo, too, as I have a Yahoo email address. Hmmmm.
    I've been working on my blog design this morning and now have my current blog post as my Home page. Other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now my home page is startpage.com. Sometimes I change it to my blog, other times I have tvguide.com which is set up to show the channels I get in my current location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try http://www.iloggo.com nice icon based starting page which works also on mobile browsers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will go for http://www.startme.com as igoogle replacement. Perfect for me and other igoogle fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. I'll check out those sites.

      Delete
  5. I am also agree with Mona. Startme is the best alternatives of iGoogle. igooglealternatives.info is also a best source to give you top 10 igoogle information.

    ReplyDelete