Thursday, October 24, 2013

The art of Wassily Kandinsky

Hommage to Grohmann

Zersezte Spannung


On White II (1923)


Composition X (1939)

"Wassily Kandinsky (1886 – 1944), the father of abstract art, also a skilled musician, strongly associated music with art. Kandinsky, who named works after musical terms, saw color when he listened to music, and believed color could visually express music’s timber, pitch and volume. At age 30, Kandinsky’s artistic career began when he left a legal career to pursue artistic studies after seeing Monet’s “Haystacks.” Passionately compelled to create, Kandinsky believed that the purity of this desire would communicate itself to viewers of his work."




2 comments:

  1. I love these, especially the first three. I see color and texture and density in words, too, and especially in numbers. And it's funny, but the only art I've ever tried to create was abstract. I wonder if those things are connected somehow in our brains. Of course, my art was nothing like Kandinsky's. Some day I'd like to take some classes and try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to start with some Zentangles. Check my previous post about Zentangles. Go to posters.com and search under Kandinsky. You can buy posters of his work in different sizes at reasonable prices. You'll also see more of his work.
    Roger

    ReplyDelete