Friday, September 6, 2013

Optical Zoom Photography


I’ve been around cameras for many years. I use to own a Rolleiflex double-lens reflex and I also had a darkroom. How times have changed. I also owned one of the first digital cameras, a Mavica from Sony (mid-1998). This early digital camera could store a 0.9 MB photo on a floppy dish. The price, around $1,000.

Flash forward to 2013. This year I purchased a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
DX HS. This is around the 3rd or 4th generation of the Canon PowerShot which I’ve owned. Imagine having a camera with 50X optical zoom with amazing image stabilization!

The vast majority of photos taken these days are from smart phones. The big advantage is their small size and the fact that we always have them in our pocket. I prefer a “real” camera. I’ve read many of the reviews of the SX50 on Amazon. I’m amazed at how many digital DSL owners have raved about this camera. Out of 450 reviews the results were 4.5 out of 5 stars. This excellent camera is currently available at Amazon for $369.00 with free shipping.

Look at the small white spot near the center of the first photo. This is a clock face on top of a building about a block away.

Now check out the second photo. It was taken from the exact spot as the first but using the maximum zoom on the SX50! I hand held the camera.



1 comment:

  1. I bought my Sony Cyber Shot a year ago August - 18.2 mega pixel and I think it's 32x zoom. And it's out of date already! I've decided it's entirely impossible to be up-to-date with technology.
    I remember registering for a university Genetics class in 1984; between the time we registered and the class began, the text book was obsolete. Genetech, I believe, had recently started and the progress was phenomenal.
    That's the way it is with all technology these days. About two months ago my grandkids told me I needed to get on Instagram to keep up with them. That's after email, facebook, twitter, etc. Well, this last week my daughter-in-law told me if I wanted to be in touch with the grandkids I need to snap-chat!

    ReplyDelete