Monday, January 6, 2014

How Are You Listening to Your Music, TV, Etc.?


Traditional Stereo System

I admit to being from the old school when it comes to stereo systems. The center piece of my system is an Onkyo HT-R520, 1000 Watt Receiver amplifier, 7 speakers including a self powered 8" subwoofer.



Sound Bar Systems

What has become popular in recent times is the Sound Bar Home Theater System. This is a bar containing small speakers that is usually mounted on the wall below a flat screen TV. Along with the sound bar, a wireless sub-woofer might be included.

I don't see how these small speakers can compare to much larger speakers in traditional stereo system. On the other hand, when people grow up listening to music with earbuds these speakers must sound very good.

I listen to lots of podcasts, streaming video, and music on my iMac, iPhone, and iPad. I've owned a number of different kinds of earbuds. My current favorite earbuds are Meelectronics M9. They are available on Amazon for around $16.00.

Meelectronics M9

AKG k240 Studio Headphones

I just bought a pair of AKG Studio Headphones. They're great for listening to sound from my iMac even though they will also work with an iPhone or iPad. These headphones are about $90.00 at Amazon.

Bluetooth Speaker
I recently purchased a Canz 808 bluetooth speaker at Sam's Club or Costco for $20.00. I am really impressed with the quality of sound. It will connect to any device with Bluetooth capabilities.


Plantronics BackBeat 903 Bluetooth headset

This headset is good for walking around in the house, working out, hiking, walking, etc.


I have yet to install a connection which will allow me to connect my iPhone to my stereo system. I'm working on it.






2 comments:

  1. Hi:
    I'd be interested to get your thoughts on the Technomadia post of this morning. My Verizon monthly bill is pretty much going to be between $150 and $180 / month due to data over usage.
    I have a TV and a fairly good speaker system in the motor home which I don't use. I've become accustomed to NOT watching TV and I essentially only listen to music while driving (iPhone). I did buy a Jukebox Wizard at Sam's Club a few month ago and have listened to music, podcasts and books while doing chores around the MH. I reserve an already heard audio book for listening to when I settle down in bed after putting my Kindle or book down. It lulls me to sleep and I've even found that I'm getting some benefit from, for instance, books in Spanish - I'll awaken in the morning having dreamt in Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a quick look at Technomadia's post. It all sounds good. I'm surprised that your usage is so high. I spent 18 months traveling the US and I think I only went over my 5GB plan maybe once or twice. You might want to check this site at Verizon that helps you evaluate your usage: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculatorPopup.jsp
      Verizon also has a $10 GB plan for $80/month. Here's some things to check. Do you leave the hotspot running while you're not using it? Do you stream much music or video? Is your email setup to check for email every few minutes? I assume you have a separate plan for your iPhone. I also think YouTube is streaming video.

      "Apps like Pandora, Spotify, Netflix, and Hulu all use streaming data, which can quickly eat away at those precious gigabytes. So just how much data are these apps using?

      I took a look at both Netflix and Pandora, measuring how much data I used for an hour of video watching and an hour of streaming music.

      Video watching on Netflix averaged about 335 MB per hour, while listening to music on Pandora used up approximately 54MB an hour.

      At that rate, I could watch about nine hours of video on my iPad or listen to 56 hours of streaming music before eating through my allotted 3GB of data per month. As a heavy video watcher, that’s not a lot of content for the price, and at 56 hours of music per month, I can only listen to less than two hours of music on a daily basis."

      Delete