Saturday, December 7, 2013

You Call This Writing?


Block Printing


Cursive Script


Copperplate script

It seems that cursive writing is slowly going the way of the buggy whip. Are college students writing their essay exams in "Blue books" using block printing?   Writing in personal journals seems to be popular these days. Are people writing in block letters?

I'm a fountain pen collector (another disappearing item in our culture). I would like to encourage people to give fountain pens a chance. The fact of the matter is that fountain pens can be purchased for as little as $3.00. Pilot Varsity makes a disposable fountain pen that many people feel writes as well as much more expensive pens.

I still remember buying my first fountain pen. It was in Bonn, Germany which was the capital of Germany until the Wall came down. I bought a Mont Blanc fountain pen for around $40 which was a lot of money in those days. I still have that pen and it writes as well as ever. Some experts would argue that a fountain pen is cheaper in the long run than cheap throw away ball point pens. They last for years and ink is generally inexpensive.

I couldn't resist showing one of my favorite fountain pens, A Namiki Vanishing Point Fountain Pen with a Black Carbonesque barrel. This pen was made in Japan.



2 comments:

  1. I was given the gift of a Mt. Blanc pen many years ago. I still have it, but, honestly, don't use it hardly at all - or any other pen, for that matter. So much of my 'writing is done on the computer keyboard. I rarely write a check or a shopping list or a note to a friend. I am saddened by the pending loss of cursive penmanship. I've heard that cursive handwriting is optional in many schools; and, many schools aren't any longer teaching it. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary-Pat,
    I don't know how I can encourage you to use your Mt. Blanc. I keep a written journal which I write with a fountain pen. I also have a FP near my computer when I want to make short notes to myself. Next time you're near a stationery store, pick up some Mt. Blanc ink cartridges and practice your handwriting. I think you will enjoy it.
    I'll send you some ink cartridges if you send your mailing address to: rv.bond66 at gmail.com
    What is the model of your Mt. Blanc?
    Roger

    ReplyDelete