Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Current Book Request List

I am a big fan of history. Here's a brief list of books on my request list. I've seen many of the authors make presentations on BookTV.org.



iFormatTitlePickup LibraryStatusHold Position
Request DetailsFormat imageLawrence in Arabia : war, deceit, imperial folly and the making of the modern Middle East
   by Anderson, Scott, 1959-
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 10/29/2013)
8 of 14 
Request DetailsFormat imageThe bully pulpit : Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the golden age of journalism PRES
   by Goodwin, Doris Kearns, author.
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 11/12/2013)
15 of 58 
Request DetailsFormat imageHitler's furies : German women in the Nazi killing fields
   by Lower, Wendy.
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 11/17/2013)
7 of 14 
Request DetailsFormat imageHeretics and heroes : how Renaissance artists and the Reformation priests created our world
   by Cahill, Thomas.
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 11/24/2013)
1 of 1 
Request DetailsFormat imageGeorge Washington's secret six : the spy ring that saved the American Revolution
   by Kilmeade, Brian.
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 12/7/2013)
58 of 63 
Request DetailsFormat imageThe heir apparent : a life of Edward VII, the playboy prince
   by Ridley, Jane.
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 12/7/2013)
1 of 3 
Request DetailsFormat imageThe storm of war : a new history of the Second World War
   by Roberts, Andrew, 1963-
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 12/8/2013)
1 of 1 
Request DetailsFormat imageExtortion : how politicians extract your money, buy votes, and line their own pockets
   by Schweizer, Peter, 1964-
Northwest Regional Library (Surprise)Active
(since 12/8/2013)
10 of 10 
Request DetailsFormat imageAlexander Hamilton : creating a nation
   by Kent, Zachary.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be particularly interested in what you think of "Hitler's Furies: German Women ....."
    I recall seeing the film, "The Reader" with Kate Winslet laying Hanna, an illiterate woman who had been a guard at Auschwitz. I haven't visited Auschwitz, but have been to Dachau. It was a life-altering experience for me. My (ex) father-in-law has a long time girlfriend who was born and raised in Germany during WWII. Her stories always follow the line that women were the home-keepers and had nothing to do with the Nazi atrocities. Of course that's not true. I just checked and it's $12.99 in KIndle format; maybe I'll rationalize the purchase.
    Did I mention "The Imperial Cruise" by John Bradley? Very interesting - about the Teddy Roosevelt era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part of of being on the road with the RV is the lack of access to libraries. I have a couple Kindles and I know the good news is being able to instantly download any book. It just irks me a bit to pay for books that are available at my local library. You might want to check your local library online to see if any of their ebooks are ones that interest you. The advantage that I mentioned earlier to having several library cards is that it increases your odds of finding an available ebook.

    "The Imperial Cruise" is available at my local library. I've added it to my list. I'm currently reading "The Sins of the Father."

    "The Reader" was a great film and I'm looking forward to reading "Hitler's Furies . . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that Alice Roosevelt Longworth was quite a character.

      Delete
    2. I just used one of my monthly credits and downloaded "Hitler's Furies" from audible.com. I've got so many books going in so many formats, I think I'm going to wait to start it.

      Delete