Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What's Happening to the Dewey Decimal System?


Imagine my shock when I walked into my local library (Surprise, AZ) to discover that they had done away with the Dewey Decimal Classification System!!

They are using BISAC which is the system used in bookstore. Now books are arranged under, History, Sports, Cooking, etc. A biography of Christopher Columbus is now located under HISTORY EXPLORE instead of biography. Stephen Ambrose’s “Undaunted Courage”, which used to be under 917.804 is now also under HISTORY EXPLORE.

Follow the this link for more information.

1 comment:

  1. While I was a library grad student from 2006 to 2008 this was a big topic. Traditionalists want to keep the Dewey system. Youngsters in the program wanted to set libraries up like book stores. Change. It's hard. :) I'm here from Barbara's blog...where I follow her full time RVing...wish I could do the same. My other dream would be to retire in AZ...so I'll be interested to follow you.

    ReplyDelete