Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Computing on the Road


Apple just finished their introduction of the iPhone 5C and 5S. They also introduced their new mobile operating system, IOS 7. 

I was a Windows user for many years. My first PC was actually an Atari ST. It was what I called “a poor man’s Mac.” There was a program called Publishing Partner (later renamed Pagestream) which was my first introduction to Desktop Publishing. I was fascinated with the sudden ability to combine text and graphics with complex page layouts. The Pagestream program is still available today.

Later, I became a big fan of Adobe’s PageMaker which was eventually replaced by InDesign.

I switched to Mac about the time that Windows 7 came out. Windows 7 was causing all kinds of issues with my computer. My first Apple computer was (and is) a 24” iMac. I started on road with the RV soon after I switched to Apple. The first year I took the iMac on the road with me. It wasn’t  long before I acquired a Macbook Pro, an iPad2, and an iPhone.

I have a Verizon 890L 4G, LTE Jetpack for internet access on the road. I think this is the third or fourth generation of this device which I’ve owned. I’ve traveled considerably around the States and generally found good coverage.

I use my computers for email, surfin’ the net, Skype, and arranging and editing photos. Probably my favorite past time with computers is downloading and listening to Podcasts. I like to take regular walks and it’s so great to be able to listen to a variety of programs which include, This Week in Tech (TWIT); Ted Talks; Grape Radio; The Moth; London School of Economics: Public Lectures; Econ Talk; Freakonomics Radio; Commonwealth Club Radio Program, and C-Span's After Words.

I’m constantly amazed at the variety of things available on the Net. I recently watched many of the sessions of the US Open Tennis tournament. I also got hooked on Netflix’s “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black.”

I’m kind of old school when it comes to books but I do have a couple of Kindles and sometimes I download books to my iPad.

I really enjoy a number of college courses available on-line. Check out Open Yale Courses especially, Roman Architecture with Prof. Diana Kleiner, The American Revolution with Prof. Joanne Freeman, and Listening to Music with Prof. Craig Wright.

2 comments:

  1. One podcast you may enjoy is Science Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radio shows "The Moth" and "A Way with Words" are great listening! How about watching Huell Howser's California's Gold videos, which are now available on the Chapman University web site? http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/ Also, search youtube for "shugemergy" (juggling and hiking) or "wawhiker" (hikes with his dog Cooper) for some fun, homemade videos.

    ReplyDelete